Recently Civil Train SA met with the Project Manager, Traffic Services and Road and Marine Services from the Department for Infrastructure and Transport (DIT), to discuss the extension of our current Deed as an approved training organisation. Civil Train SA would like to clarify some confusion with the current training requirements as they may differ to what you may have previously experienced in South Australia. The key areas often queried is the renewal process of gaining re-accreditation; please see below for information sought.
- All South Australian Work Zone Traffic Management (WZTM) cards are valid for three years from the date of successful completion of training. Cards produced in more recent years display a ‘Renewal Date’. A course must be conducted prior to the renewal date expiring; if your card has expired, you will need to requalify by completing a full WZTM training course – the full two-day WZMT course.
Unfortunately there is no leeway with course bookings, you cannot book a refresher course after your expiry date; it needs to be completed prior i.e. in South Australia, there is no leeway on vehicle licence expiry. If you drive at 1 minute past midnight the day after it expires, you will get fined if caught.
- · If your renewal date has not passed, you will be required to attend a WZTM Refresher course to gain your next three-year accreditation.
· INTERSTATE QUALIFICATIONS – a bridging course is required for people moving from other regulatory jurisdictions to enable them to be accredited within South Australia and to ensure they are compliant with the different workzone traffic management rules and conditions applied across South Australia. To complete this bridging course the learner must show they have successfully completed the units listed below and that their WZTM card is current. It should be noted training providers may have specific entry requirements to the one-day refresher including current industry experience. If a learner is unable to meet the requirements they will need to complete a full WZTM training course.
- o RIIWHS205E – Control Traffic With a Stop/Slow Bat, and
- o RIIWHS302E – Implement Traffic Management Plan
Currently DIT is reviewing the Interstate Bridging Course delivery method and are researching the possibility of online processes instead of a face-to-face course requirement. The bridging course will be designed to cover the subtle differences in legislation and signing in South Australia.
Please be vigilant of your team’s traffic WZTM renewal dates and if you need any further assistance in clarifying your requirements or obtaining your renewal please contact our Civil Train SA team for more information
Courses@ccfsa.com or 08 8111 8001